This red gravy recipe is a weeknight lifesaver! Use this classic sauce as a base for all sorts of recipes made with Perri® Italian Sausage. Make one batch or double the recipe to freeze for later.
- 2 cans (28-ounces each) crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
Gravy may be refrigerated for up to 5 days prior to use.
If refrigerated gravy is not used within 5 days; freeze for next use in tightly sealed containers in one or two cup amounts. Then simply thaw for use in Perri® Italian Sausage recipes as needed.
Note: This recipe yields about 6-1/2 cups of sauce.